Craftiness, baking and other lovely things.

Monday 18 June 2018

Monthly make: June 2018 - planning

Earlier this month, after looking at my wardrobe and my fabric stash, I started to make sewing plans and set myself the goal of making an outfit a month; that is, to sew a dress (or top and skirt) and crochet or knit an accessory for it.  That'll likely be mostly cardigans as I am a bit of a collector.  The dress and cardi combo is my go to.

My June makes are underway.  My stash gave me a metre of Cath Kidston cotton duck, bought quite some time ago with vague plans to make seat pads for the kitchen chairs.  That never happened, probably because I sensibly decided that with my messy lot they'd be ruined in about a week.


A metre isn't very much, even for a wide fabric like this, but with some clever and economical cutting, and accepting that I might have to add a contrast band at the hem (I'm not a fan of the super mini), I can squeeze out a Colette Hazel.

Photo is by Colette Media - find the pattern here 

I'll use a lightweight cotton for the facings and pockets, but that's a good thing as the cotton duck is quite weighty.  It's mostly cut out and I'm hoping to start sewing later today.

To wear with it, because every day needs a cardigan companion, I'm working on a new design (with pattern to be published later) and using gorgeously sunny Sirdar Pattercakes in shades of yellow, with perhaps a little hint of that fabulous pink.

Updates soon, I hope.  Is anyone else making outfits this summer?


No comments:

Post a Comment