Craftiness, baking and other lovely things.

Tuesday 22 May 2018

I made my clothes

Wearing summer at the moment - sunshine cardigan and flowers on my dress

Anyone following the crafty side of social media knows it's Me Made May.  I say anyone, it passed me by for the first three weeks of the month, but when I finally looked up from life long enough to notice, I realised that I've been wearing me-made quite a lot this month. 

The dress above is my go to at the moment, but when it's in the wash I have a few others that get an outing.  And, of course, I have a small stash of 3m lengths (the 'dress length' cut) of some quite lovely fabrics waiting for me to sew them up into something delightful.  I think that might have to happen next week during half term, when my youngest is going to have a couple of days with nanny.  (The other two don't need me during school holidays except as a food provider and occasional taxi driver.  They seem to have gone from needy toddlers to almost independent almost adults in less time than it takes to sew on a button.)

Anyway, back to what I was saying before I digressed and lost several minutes pondering how fast children grow.  What I don't have is beautiful me made cardigans.  Well I do, I have one, but it's in an odd colour that doesn't really work with anything else in my wardrobe.  It got me thinking about how I plan (or obviously don't) plan my making of clothes.  Ideally, I would make a dress at the weekend and then knit up a cardigan to wear with it during the evenings of the following weeks.  But knitting takes quite a lot longer than sewing a dress and I already have a lot of WIPs in my basket.  Still, I really like the idea and as I've got older my patience with projects that are more long term has grown.  I also, rather excitingly, have the possibility of crocheting a cardigan, even designing one myself.  I'm a crochet designer.  I can do that.

Watch this space.  But don't hold your breath whilst you're watching.  Like I said, knitting and crochet take a bit longer than sewing.


No comments:

Post a Comment